Thursday, July 31, 2008

Fargo -

Wow I love the movie Fargo. It's great. Then end.

I think the thing that I really enjoy about the Coen Brothers' films is the exact thing for which Kauffman criticizes the film. The fact that we can be witnessing something so terrible and tragic that actually occurred (at least purportedly) and still be laughing out loud shows that most of us (at least those without souls or conscience) can connect on at least a superficial level to humor in another's misfortune. My favorite part of the film, because it makes me feel the worst about myself, is the scene where Carl and Gaear arrive at the cabin and Jean breaks free and starts running around, unable to see, and Carl is laughing at her. I laughed too. It was surprising easy to laugh at the silliness of Jean expecting to get away when she has no vision or even hands to put out in front of her. Had Coen decided to run her into a tree to end the scene, I would have likely shot the Coke I was drinking out my nose. And aside from Margie, Jean is the only person featured in the film with any redeeming qualities.

So the dilemma I have about the dark central core in my own soul is why I didn't also think it was funny when the law caught up with Jerry with his pants down (off anyway) and the scene shows him kicking, screaming, and crying like a baby. By the way, I absolutely agree that he is the worst of the villains. From my background, I have come to know that a person who perpetrates evil acts against someone he loves is a far more depraved individual that someone who perpetrates against a random person. The cognitive dissonance that must have occurred in the actual "Jerry's" mind would overwhelm even the most hardened of thugs. I was glad he "got it" in the end, but for some reason it wasn't funny.....

Andy

1 comment:

Jason Pyles, Movie Critic said...

Yes, what is that?

I do that, too. My wife gets so disgusted with me when I laugh at something awful (that I probably shouldn't be laughing at) in a movie. She always calls me a "sicko."

I didn't laugh too much in "Fargo," but I did laugh a bunch in "The Dark Knight" ... and really, I shouldn't have.

I'd love to know what it is within some of us that we can laugh at another person's terrible misfortune. I used to tell myself it was my "coping mechanism" for such scenes, but that's a lie: I truly think they're funny.

Jason