Sunday, December 14, 2008

Hitting Jason with a "Brick," by Andy

Jason - I'm not convinced that anybody but me and you are actually participating in this site. I sort of don't care, as long as you've got a good cue of movies for me to watch. Did you know that I canceled cable so that I could focus on my film bibliography? Anyway, sorry you had to watch "Brick" again. I know it's not your favorite film.

I'm a huge fan of pretty much anything with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. 3rd Rock included. All that said, I did really like "Brick," notwithstanding it's almost nonsensical prose and ridiculously overly-dramatic characters.

Why did I like it? Two reasons, I guess. I always like a good murder mystery, and this one doesn't disappoint. We don't find out until the very end what happened to the dead girl. I felt it unraveled at a fairly even pace, and I thought Joseph's character did an excellent job of persevering in his investigation.

Second, I happened to love the confusing dialog. Maybe it's because I am a criminal defense lawyer and I'm secretly put-off by how stupid my clients are, even in their confusing lingo. I enjoyed the almost code-like language the kids in the move used. BTW, it's not language that is used in Provo, Utah, even in the most sophisticated drug scene.

All that said, yes, I realize it is not a good example of either drug culture or high school. The characters are far too serious to be drug addicts or high school students, and life is way too depressing in their little town. But I don't think we can blame all of that on the director or writer; it is after all a murder mystery. Such movies are rarely full of fun and happiness.

Jason - I miss you buddy. I wish you were here in Utah to watch these movies with.

Andy

1 comment:

Jason Pyles, Movie Critic said...

Andy, you're right.

We're the only two writers actively participating in posting on this site, but believe it or not, a few people are still submitting movie suggestions (even though they don't post comments on their own picks).

But don't worry: We'll always have interesting films to watch. Always.

I have a challenge for you, Andy: Let's see if we can keep this up till I move back to Utah and we can watch these flicks together at your house again. And we'll get that Irishman to come, too.

As for "Brick," I'm honestly glad you chose it again. I liked it better this time.

Jason

P.S. I know where you eat your lunch.