Thursday, April 15, 2010

"Enduring Love?" comments by Andy

Wasn't sure why the title is what it is until the end of the movie. I honestly had no idea what the movie was about before watching the film.

Stalkers are fun, aren't they? I almost always hate stalker films for many of the same reasons that I was so critical of the character in "Julia." Victims of stalkers almost never avail themselves of the appropriate tools to deal with their stalkers. Such is true of Joe, although I was very glad to see Joe's willingness to deal with the situation when push finally came to shove.

I think what makes "Enduring Love" such a brilliant stalking film is that if you don't know anything about the movie ahead of time, you aren't immediately aware that you are watching a stalker film. Rhys Ifans is absolutely fabulous as Jed, and Jed is just about as creepy as you can get and still be believable. He was instantly off-putting when asking Joe to pray.

My only concern with the movie was that it seemed rather slow. I appreciate a good drama, but I don't understand how the film could feel so long without spending any real time explaining how Joe's relationship devolved so terribly over time. And the curtain reference seemed a little thin to me. Why was his girlfriend so unreceptive to his midnight theory anyway?

Daniel Craig is a pro.

No comments: